top of page


Important Information

What vehicles do I need a C1 licence to drive?

Vehicles that require a C1 licence are rigid vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass).  Typically these include; Ambulances, Horseboxes, Motorhomes and Large Vans.  Many 3.5 tonne vehicles do not have enough payload to carry the weight needed, acquiring your C1 licence will allow you to drive a larger vehicle with a greater payload.

Do I need to take a test to tow a trailer ?

Since December 2021 you do not need an additional test to tow a 3.5 tonne trailer (or 7 tonne combined weight), this weight limit is relevant to when you passed your category B (car) test (check the website for more details).  Once you have obtained your category B (car) test you now automatically receive the B+E entitlement on your licence (or it will be added when you next interact with DVLA).  However it is advised that you complete a towing course before you head out on the road to be shown safe hitching and unhitching procedures, driving on a variety of roads and reversing in different scenarios.

Can I do a Confidence Building Course in my own vehicle?

Yes! This is exactly what these courses are designed for.  Whether you own a Motorhome, Horsebox or any other type of large vehicle that you don't feel confident driving, the Confidence Building Course is tailored to suit your needs and  focuses on the specific areas you would like to work on.

bottom of page